Cowgirl Up!!! ... Does Horse Poop Cause Cancer??

Friday, May 18, 2018

Wholly Holes! Still Processing My Whole News

Hello 5.18.18

Thank you everyone for reading, commenting and caring as you do. I write for me, for you, for everyone, anyone, that may benefit from my myeloma journey, medically and psychologically. I write because This Is My Life. Myeloma has taken over my life for 8+ years. Symptoms, side effects, medications, treatments, appointments, extreme fatigue, my thoughts... I write because it helps me process what I am going through. I write because I enjoy sharing my life, my challenges, my struggles, my successes, my myeloma realities,... sharing with anyone that chances upon this Blog. I write because this Blog will be my written Legacy, living on and on and on, beyond me one day...

Denial is my middle name
I'm so silly... thinking this machine, this PET CT Scan
wouldn't show much... Ha! on me...
And of course, it's a perfect "hole" shape :))

Yes, Holes. Lytic Lesions. Holes, "Innumerable" holes, through out my "axial and appendicular skeleton", the report states. I am still stunned and surprised. Shocked. Disbelief. Incredulous. Confused. Sad. Mad. Angry. Betrayed. But mostly Disbelief. How? When? How can this be? Has Myeloma always been eating me up alive? Is this recent? Or has this been since 2009? I have always been a "Why" person, and I will never stop wondering Why about most everything. Just who I am. And I accept that I will only have answers to the "Why", maybe 50% of the time, if I'm lucky.

I read about Myeloma all the time. I want to know, be informed, be in the information loop. But I am not a Scientist or Medical Researcher, Doctor, Nurse, or Pharmacist. I'm a deep thinker, a Psychologist, Counselor. I want to know as much as I can, about all the things I'm fascinated by. But Myeloma has stumped me. I still, after 8+ years, I still don't understand Myeloma. I can't fully process the intricate Anatomy and Physiology of our bodies. Trying to understand Myeloma from a Biological, Chemistry perspective, is frankly over my head, and beyond my advanced education that I do have.

But I read, read, read. I've been looking at Skeltons. At anatomy pictures, charts, diagrams. I'm trying to figure out where all my Holes are. I want to know what these Holes look like from the inside. I want to understand how Myeloma grew all these Lytic Lesions inside me. I keep mumbling "Holes" to myself. Omg, I have Holes in my bones. Innumerable Holes. I have Holes in my Skeleton. Holes. I'm a Holey Skeleton. My bones have Holes. Cancerous Holes. Cancer in my bones. Holes that have cancer. Myeloma Cancer ate Holes in my Bones. Holes. Innumerable...


I took this picture just before the Scan began. You know me, silly, making light of things, thinking "oh this won't show much, but what an interesting medical adventure it is!" I had no idea the irony of the circular shape of the Scan machine! It's a giant Hole. Oh so ironic right! The machine that found my skeletal Holes, is a Hole. A medical Hole I go through to find my Lytic Lesion Holes. Ah, can you believe this! Honestly, I never ever really thought this Hole machine would find so many Holes in me. If you haven't seen the written diagnostic results report, I posted it for your viewing pleasure on my previous, 5.9.18 post.

I received the CD of my PET/CT Scan picture results yesterday. I can't figure out all the data and views. Omg. Each time I click, there were images in the images in the images. I saw my body in various forms. Some views looked like Aliens invading. Some views look like the Stellar System, like Outer Space, like the view of millions of stars coming at you. I saw my spine, my whole body and weird unidentifiable body parts. What is all this? Medical professionals are sooooo smart. I have such respect for all the knowledge everyone in the medical field has. They all look at this, and know exactly what it is. Wow! For sure, at my next Dr appointment, I will have my Dr go over my Scan pictures. Perhaps she can help me find a simpleton picture of my Holes.

I heard Sugar cures cancer, right? ;)
Thanks to all my meds, I really don't desire sweets.

A week ago, Friday May 11th, was my 7th City of Hope Stem Cell Transplant reunion. 7 years, 10 months ago I was hospitalized at COH for a month, for my SCT. Yes I was there a month due to complications from my Hickman Catheter becoming horribly infected. It's a crazy story, that I've shared before, but basically it happened because I was too confident that I was so different, so strong, that germs couldn't invade my system, so I didn't follow of the directions of how to keep the insertion point in my chest covered properly. So when my immune system completely plummeted as expected, (officially called Nadir), from the high dose Melphalan chemo, I didn't have the immune power to fight off the cooties, and wow, did I get sick. They soon did "emergency beside surgery" to remove it, and I was on 5, 6, 7, antibiotics at a time to fight off this horrible Staphylococcus Aureus that attacked me! See, even from the beginning, I have never really accepted myeloma, and that I have a deadly incurable cancer. I always thought it would be different for me. Ha!

There's my room for all of July 2010

My neighbor Gary, who also has Myeloma, his wife and I celebrated our almost 8 year Stem Cell Transplant anniversary at City of Hope last week. Thousands of people there. Just amazing all the families, all the lives saved, ... and then those that were not... so many lives represented... We are the lucky ones! 


Yes, Gary is my neighbor, and we both have Myeloma. Get that! He was diagnosed about 6 months after me, and had his SCT about 6 months after me, both of us in 2010. Gary's about 12 years older than me. I am IgA. He's IgG, Light Chain type myeloma. We have the same medical team, similar treatments, and we are both 8 year survivors. And Neighbors. Isn't that crazy! We attend our regional Myeloma support group together also. And when metal mouth from meds and steroids have calmed down, and we don't have GI issues, or we're not too fatigued or sick, we even go out to eat together! Neighbors and Myeloma buddies! What a lovely combination!

Sweetest couple ever!



Today, I'm headed to the Dentist, as so ironically, I had pre-planned dental work scheduled PRIOR to knowing about my Lytic Lesion Holes. Crazy timing, yes. I have a cracked tooth, that I suspect was a result of me tripping and falling into one of our horse poopy containers, and slamming my FACE onto the rim of the trash container, before going head first in!!! Remember that crazy, ridiculous story! I'll find it, and link it here for your entertainment again.... So the plan is to drill down the tooth, clear out any decay, and cap it off. My Dr has me pre-medicating with Clindamycin, to prevent a bacterial infection. Previously, I was reluctant to do what I thought was "unnecessary" antibiotics, but after being so sick so often, I'm on board now :)) Down the hatch 2 pills went, no problem. 

And YES....., I have decided to do the Zometa treatments to strengthen my bones, and hopefully fill the Holes, and prevent new ones. Ha! I don't know if Zometa is that magical... I'll begin probably in late June, after my dental work today and again in a few weeks. I will for sure only agree to it every 3 or 4 months, and will make sure to do a very sloooooooow infusion, and hydrate a lot. Thank you everyone, and fellow myeloma warrior Ellen, for your kind and informative comments!!

And that's where it's at today May 18, 2018. My mind is still reeling from all the news, and my eyes want to see these stikin Holes on the scan pictures... Still processing the word "INNUMERABLE"...  that's sure a wake up call... "Innumerable lytic lesions throughout the axial and appendicular skeleton..." Holes. Innumerable Holes, has taken over my silent mental vocabulary.

We had a low key, but very fun Mother's Day. I feel loved every day, and Myeloma can't steal that from me. Hope all the mom's reading this, had a lovely day too.

The Fab 5! 
They are my life!

Our roses are incredible this year!
So much beauty, heals my soul

And the beautiful sweet scents are just amazing!

"Innumerable" roses :))



City of Hope
Thank you for my very successful July 2010 Stem Cell Transplant


So now... it's all about obsessing on When, How, Where my Holey bones will crack, fracture, break.. Where's T9 anyway? Will I break my Clavicle turning in bed one night? Where is my right Scapular Spine lesion? Will I cough wrong, move wrong and break ribs # 3 and 8? Where's my left Sacral Lunency? Will my left Femoral Plateau crack and break, or plunge off a cliff? Or my Proximal Tibia? Or my Hypermetabolic lesions do something hyper. Or the Osseous lesions, do whatever they do? And of course, what would all this be without my lesion in my Skull... my oh so ironic Hole in my Head!! My brains will seep out... 



Live happy, live well, and make a difference somewhere, somehow, 
with someone or something as often as you can



8 comments:

  1. So glad you are doing the Zometa. Don't forget -- the first infusion may leave you feeling crappy for a couple of days, but subsequent infusions will be better. I promise. And feel free to tell me off when you feel badly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Ellen, you make me smile :)) Thank you for all your information and support. I mentioned you above :)) Yes, I will for sure report in when I survive my first Zometa infusion. Probably mid June, after my final Dental appt, and Darzalex infusion early June. Thank you again for all your support and details. Hoping you are feeling good and enjoying life!

      Delete
  2. Glad that you are doing the Zometa! I was on a study, both pre- and post-transplant, where I was either on Zometa or Denosanaub (don't know if I spelled that right). My oncologist, Dr. Rosenberg, decided that I didn't need it anymore about a year ago. I know that when I was diagnosed I had multiple lytic lesions all through my skeleton, but I haven't had a skeletal survey in a while, like a year or so. But I know that I feel strong, at least when the Pomalyst isn't kicking my butt! I am getting ready to go hike the West Coast Trail in Canada with my oldest son, Scotty for 8 days. Super excited! I will be off the Pomalyst for an extra week and a half for the trip. My oncologist doesn't think it would be a good idea for me to be hiking in Canada with no cell phone service with a compromised immune system. Well, anymore than it is already compromised. I will start the Pomalyst as soon as I get back, and hope that I don't have too much of a backslide. When I was getting the infusions, I don't remember it affecting me too much, so I hope that you will have the same experience and the time in the chair getting your IV meds will just be a chance for you to read or something. By the way, my mom says that the holes in my head have been there since I was a teenager!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott, thanks for checking in and telling me your experience with Zometa. Gives me confidence to move forward with it, with all the feedback I've received. Glad to know you did so well on it, your Dr took you off of it! That's certainly success!
      And for you to go hiking, backpacking for 8 days, wow, you must be in terrific shape Scott!
      I'm obsessing on how, when, if, my bones may fracture, break, etc. Never had a broken bone in my life, even when bucked off horses. Now I feel like fragile glass...hate it :((
      So sweet you are going with your son Scotty. My son is Scott/y also. Must have been meant to be you found my blog!
      Being off Pom for 8 days doesn't sound that drastic, as our normal break is 7 days. Hoping you have a fantastic time. I do think you are very brave to do this, but you're in much better shape than I am. Haven't done something like that since college! Altho, we did do horse camping/trail riding.
      Thanks for reading and commenting Scott. Be sure to check in when you return, and you can send pictures to my email missy.myeloma9@gmail.com
      Have a wonderful trip :))
      And so funny your mom's comment. I've had lots of fun with all the "hole" jokes too :))

      Delete
  3. Julie, Sorry to hear about the PET scan results. Zometa isn't that bad at all. Just be sure they do the infusion slower at first. I always had them do it over 45 minutes. Take some tylenol before hand too. Plus, there is the new drug Xegia( that's not the spelling) But it is new for myeloma patients and it is a SHOT!!! no infusion. When I'm next up for Zometa, I'll ask for that. Best to you, and your roses look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in Christina :)) And thanks for the Zometa tips. I'm still processing all of this craziness! How long did you do Zometa? And yes, I will definitely have it infused over a loooong time. Maybe I'll ask for an hour the first time! Hope all is good with you, and myeloma stays away from you for a long time!

      Delete
  4. Julie, there are so many similarities between you and Ernie with your Myeloma journey...sure wish lytic lesions wasn’t one of them! His skeletal systems were described using the adjective “innumerable” as well, and he started bone strengthener monthly back in January, with no side effects. He gets the Xgeva injection, which is easier on the kidneys, since he only has one! Praying you will have no reaction once you get started, following your dental work. Never a dull moment! We head to Duke to sign consents on Wednesday and get Hickman and first day of 6 high dose chemo. Sure would appreciate the prayers! This is no fun, that’s for sure! Love to you, and keep smelling your beautiful roses!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for checking in Linda. Yes, it's crazy how many similarities Ernie and I have. I think he is so brave to do another SCT! I'm not that brave right now. I'm so over myeloma, and treatments for 8 years... but of course so grateful for still being here. Did he ever do Zometa, or only Xgeva? I will read up on the differences. Millions of best wishes and prayers to Ernie for all is upcoming SCT adventures. He's so strong, and has you and your beautiful family backing him up all the way!
    So glad we have multiple ways to be in contact sweet, amazing lady, sending love and hugs always xoxo

    ReplyDelete

My Story... How my MM was diagnosed

October/November/December 2009...

Most of my life I was VERY presumptuous about being healthy, taking my (mostly) GOOD health for granted...
I was committed to annual check-ups for all of us, and so late October 2009, my daughter and I went for our annual and very routine physicals.

Surprise, surprise... my routine blood tests revealed extreme Anemia, significant White and Red Cell issues, low Platelets, and a variety of other CBC red flags! I was (stupidly) not worried when my GP doc left repeated phone messages to contact him, and when we did speak, I (stupidly) requested postponement of his referral appointment to the Hematology Dept until the end of the Fall academic term.

Arriving for my first appointment Dec 14, 2009, I was confronted with the check-in sign that read: "Hematology/Oncology"... What? Nooooo! not me... I must be in the WRONG place! And so my diagnosis journey began with vials and vials of blood drawn "stat", urgent Dr consultations, a surprise and painful Bone Marrow Biopsy, a full body Skeletal Scan, more blood tests stat, and then on 12.30.2009... THE revealing meeting... the "huh-what" moment ... the confirmation diagnosis that I, Julie, have CANCER!!!

Happy New Year to me, I just learned a new vocabulary word:
Multiple Myeloma!!! MM, Multiple Mye-what-loma!!!

January - June 2010

My medical metamorphosis began.
I read, and read, and read and researched and researched MM. I trusted my expert Oncology/Hematology team's plan and began my "New Normal" as a cancer patient.
My treatment plan was developed to include powerful Dexemthesone steroids paired with Revlimid chemotherapy, with the plan to be hospitalized for an Autologous Stem Cell Transplant July 2010.

I began living "one day at a time" like never before.
Jim was a wreck. Alissa and Scott were stunned; family and friends shocked.

Me... Cowgirl Up! I got back in the saddle and knew I was in for the ride of my life!
I did well on my initial pill-form Revlimid Chemo, "roid-rage" Dex Steroids and other supportive meds. I am forever deeply grateful and appreciative for all the love and support from everyone in my personal and professional life! I thank all of you for working along with me, and allowing me to continue to lead a semi "normal" life!
YOU have helped save my life!

My treatment trail ride forks to City of Hope hospital as I will saddle up beginning June 9, 2010 for a new rodeo called an Autologous Stem Cell Transplant!
Ye-Ha, let the adventure begin!

Chemical Warfare...

January 2010 - May 2010:
My initial chemo regimen:

Pill form Chemo= Revlimid (10mg, 15mg capsules)
Pill form Dexamethasone Steroids (40 mg, 4 days on, 4 days off!
Omeprazole for steroid acid reflux
Mepron (looks like yellow finger paint) Anti-fungal, Anti-viral, etc for my very compromised immune system
B-12
.81 Aspirin to prevent DVT, Revlimid complications
Allopurinol- keeping the kidneys healthy
Acyclovir- anti-Shingles, anti-viral

June 2010:
High dose IV Cytoxan chemo
Neupogen to build up stem cells for Apheresis, stem cell harvest, which was very successful, as City of Hope was able to collect 9.5 million of my own stem cells

July 2010 Hospitalization:
Two days of high dose Melphalan chemo
Then July 5, 2010 = my Autologous Stem Cell transplant infusion!

And you can read my whole story from that point forward in this blog!


What is multiple myeloma?

What is multiple myeloma?

Cancer starts when cells in the body begin to grow out of control. Cells in nearly any part of the body can become cancer, and can spread to other areas of the body. To learn more about how cancers start and spread, see What Is Cancer?

Multiple myeloma is a cancer formed by malignant plasma cells. Normal plasma cells are found in the bone marrow and are an important part of the immune system.

The immune system is made up of several types of cells that work together to fight infections and other diseases. Lymphocytes (lymph cells) are the main cell type of the immune system. The major types of lymphocytes are T cells and B cells.

When B cells respond to an infection, they mature and change into plasma cells. Plasma cells make the antibodies (also called immunoglobulins) that help the body attack and kill germs. Lymphocytes are in many areas of the body, such as lymph nodes, the bone marrow, the intestines, and the bloodstream. Plasma cells, however, are mainly found in the bone marrow. Bone marrow is the soft tissue inside some hollow bones. In addition to plasma cells, normal bone marrow has cells that make the different normal blood cells.

When plasma cells become cancerous and grow out of control, they can produce a tumor called a plasmacytoma. These tumors generally develop in a bone, but they are also rarely found in other tissues. If someone has only a single plasma cell tumor, the disease is called an isolated (or solitary) plasmacytoma. If someone has more than one plasmacytoma, they have multiple myeloma.

Multiple myeloma is characterized by several features, including:

Low blood counts

In multiple myeloma, the overgrowth of plasma cells in the bone marrow can crowd out normal blood-forming cells, leading to low blood counts. This can cause anemia – a shortage of red blood cells. People with anemia become pale, weak, and fatigued. Multiple myeloma can also cause the level of platelets in the blood to become low (called thrombocytopenia). This can lead to increased bleeding and bruising. Another condition that can develop is leukopenia – a shortage of normal white blood cells. This can lead to problems fighting infections.

Bone and calcium problems

Myeloma cells also interfere with cells that help keep the bones strong. Bones are constantly being remade to keep them strong. Two major kinds of bone cells normally work together to keep bones healthy and strong. The cells that lay down new bone are called osteoblasts. The cells that break down old bone are called osteoclasts. Myeloma cells make a substance that tells the osteoclasts to speed up dissolving the bone. Since the osteoblasts do not get a signal to put down new bone, old bone is broken down without new bone to replace it. This makes the bones weak and they break easily. Fractured bones are a major problem in people with myeloma. This increase in bone break-down can also raise calcium levels in the blood. (Problems caused by high calcium levels are discussed in the section “How is multiple myeloma diagnosed?”)

Infections

Abnormal plasma cells do not protect the body from infections. As mentioned before, normal plasma cells produce antibodies that attack germs. For example, if you developed pneumonia, normal plasma cells would produce antibodies aimed at the specific bacteria that were causing the illness. These antibodies help the body attack and kill the bacteria. In multiple myeloma, the myeloma cells crowd out the normal plasma cells, so that antibodies to fight the infection can’t be made. The antibody made by the myeloma cells does not help fight infections. That’s because the myeloma cells are just many copies of the same plasma cell – all making copies of the same exact (or monoclonal) antibody.

Kidney problems

The antibody made by myeloma cells can harm the kidneys. This can lead to kidney damage and even kidney failure.